This week we are going on an Accessories Challenge adventure together. What is an Accessories Challenge, you ask? Well, it is where the VIP (that’s me) takes one outfit and gives it three different looks by changing only a few accessories. Accessorizing involves more than putting on earrings, tossing on a necklace, and piling on bracelets. Oh, my sweet readers, it’s much more! Imagine (Imagine no possessions, I wonder if you can…you may say I’m a dreamer-oh, I’m sorry for bursting out into song. I just love the Beatles!)-oh, yes, imagine the limitless possibilities of your wardrobe when you expand it with hats, belts, scarves, shoes, and even legging. I agree that it’s a bit warm for scarves and leggings, but it’s never too hot for hats and belts!
For this Accessories Challenge, I chose a pair of vintage, sky blue, high-waist shorts from The Attic in Columbus and a white, lace top from The Limited. By keeping the “basic” outfit simple and neutral in color, I was able to jazz it up for my summer events. Each transformation has been paired with a hat because hats are a great way to hide frizzy hair-thank you, Southern humidity and ridiculous heat! Inevitably, a bad hair day always strikes when we need to go somewhere important. So, keep those hair accessories handy!
Have you ever had a bridal shower brunch, an outing at the mall with friends, and an evening party or night out on the town-with no time to change-ALL on the same day? Well, that’s where accessories can make all the difference! Pack a few pairs of shoes, hats, and pieces of jewelry that coordinate with the events of your extremely busy day along with some Smart Water and granola snacks into your emergency beauty bag-then get ready to wow friends and strangers alike with your fashion genius! I guarantee you will look fabulous without breaking a sweat; however, I cannot guarantee you won’t sweat-after all, it is 100 degrees-in the shade.
For a bridal shower brunch, I decided to pair the vintage shorts and lace top with a floppy, summer hat, cobalt blue Jessica Simpson heels, and a neutral colored bow belt by Betsey Johnson. This look is cute and dressy which is perfect for any special occasion, especially a luncheon or brunch.
Next stop is the mall with friends. I wanted to be comfortable, yet cute. How did I go from bridal shower dressy to comfy cute? You guessed it! I changed my accessories. I simply pulled out patterned high-top Converse, a tie belt from JCrew, and a funky hat by Blu Getrude from my handy dandy emergency beauty bag. This outfit also works well with Keds, Sperry’s, or a cute pair of metallic sandals.
Finally, the sun has set, but the outfit must keep shining because there is a hot, summer party in the city (Hot in the city, hot in the city tonight…hot in the city-I apologize for my digression, but that Billy Idol song just fits). Once again, reach into that magical emergency bag full of splendid accessories, Smart Water, and granola wrappers, and pull out neon Jessica Simpson heels, a bright pink belt, and a funky headband. Now, get ready to party the night away while looking absolutely fabulous! Neon accessories are suitable for summer parties or a day out on the town-you cannot have enough neon accessories this summer!
Accessories are SO important! They can change the overall look of any outfit with very little effort. Just keep the five tips on pairing, buying, and picking out accessories in mind the next time you find yourself with too many events and too little time.
VIP Accessory Tips:
- Making a Statement: Invest in statement jewelry such as a pair of funky Blu Gertrude earrings or a pair of neon heels. Do NOT be afraid to stand out and make a statement. Be you and express your style!
- Quantity: Your local Claire’s or other accessory shops are wonderful ways to get more bang for your buck. Take advantage of sales and buy bracelets and necklaces in bulk!
- Variety: Make sure you have style variation in your jewelry box and closet. Classic pearls, neon bangles, floral patterned heels, vintage hats…variety is key!
- Hats: Invest in hats for the summer! You can purchase an adorable, floppy hat from the CosMedi Center that makes you look fabulous with the bonus of protecting your precious face from the sun.
- Not Too Much: If you want to wear an “arm party” (which is a variety of bracelets/watches combined on each arm), do not wear necklaces or big, flashy earrings because that is too much accessorizing. You want to make a statement-not look like Mr. T from the A-Team. Don’t get me wrong-I love Mr. T and the A-Team.
If you would like to see more pictures from this Accessories Challenge, then check out my Facebook page www.facebook.com/VintageInspiredPassionista!
You can also follow me on Twitter @Abbysauce_ and Instagram @VintagePassionista.
One thought on “VIP Accessories Challenge: Vintage High Waisted Shorts”
[…] Accessories Challenge: Vintage High-Waisted Shorts […]