On the VIP’s latest adventure, I attended Project Design Week at Auburn University (July 15-20), and it was absolutely fabulous! I made many new friends, gained valuable skills, and developed a love for apparel design.
While I was there, I discovered that the dorm halls and classrooms are just a tad bit frigid, and sadly enough, I was not prepared for such conditions! After all, this is summer in the South-100 degrees in the shade! So, I was forced to purchase a sweat shirt-talk about irony; however, from this experience, the wonderful idea of a versatile blazer was born! As soon as my parents picked me up from camp, I demanded retail therapy at Urban Outfitters! There, I found the most fabulous turquoise blazer that just screamed 1980-in a good way! I will not go into all the reasons why I decided to purchase this blazer this week, but join me next week to see all the glamour this blazer can add to any wardrobe! From this day forward, I shall carry this darling blazer with me-never again to be caught wearing an oversized sweatshirt with my sweet dresses and heels.
Step inside my time machine with me as I flashback to a Deep South Pout Accessories Challenge blog where I wore a splendid dress! Why is this dress so fantastic you ask? Well, the colors that make up this super cute dress are why it is so fantabulous! The various shades of blue and golden yellow allow this Deep South Pout dress to be paired with many different things such as leopard print and my new blazer (which you will get to see the fabulousness next week!) Since next week is so far away, you can go visit my blog (VIP Accessories Challenge: Deep South Pout) to see the three ways I wore this fancy little frock.
So without further ado, I present to you (see how I made that rhyme *wink*) the reasons as to why such a simple thing as a blazer is so magnificent and functional all year long! A blazer can replace your travel blankets, baggy unfashionable sweatshirts, Snuggies, and hoodies in a snap! You might be thinking-“Now, Abby, really? I love my Snuggie!” I am not begrudging the Snuggie-that warm little thing works great for watching TV, but definitely shouldn’t be worn while attending a lecture or meeting! How do we solve this frigid inside environment while battling the heat outside and having to look adorable all at the same time? A magical, magnificent blazer, of course! It will keep you warm and snuggly inside while still looking fashionably fabulous-and when it is time to venture back outside-simply, toss it over your shoulder and strut like you are on a catwalk!
Do you struggle trying to find the perfect blazer? Follow these five tips, and the next time you go blazer shopping it will be a breeze!
Five Tips on Buying Blazers (for the ladies and gents):
- Invest: Invest in a good quality blazer that fits well. A style such as the classic school boy blazer never goes out of style-JCrew has a wonderful collection of these for fall!
- Make a Statement: When purchasing a blazer, invest in a bright, fun, funky blazer! Polka dots, leopard print, neon green, denim, paisley-there are all kinds of awesome statement blazers out there!
- Be Thrifty: Keeping a look out at your local thrift or consignment shops is a great way to find a good deal on a blazer. It is easy to change out the buttons or add patches to the elbows for a more personal touch!
- Dress up or dress down: Purchasing a blazer without buttons allows you to dress up or down in a snap! If you need to go from a daytime to meeting to dinner out on the town, a blazer without buttons works perfectly. Just add a vintage brooch or layered necklaces for your day to night transition.
- For the gents: Every man needs a good versatile sports coat/blazer that can be paired with khakis, jeans, or shorts. You can pair your sports coat or blazer with a light denim button up and a navy blue bowtie for a sophisticated, yet comfortable look for any business meeting or party.
I could go on, and on, and on about my experience at Auburn and what kind of blazers to buy…but the washing machine is shouting my name…well, it’s actually my mom yelling that it’s time to swap the laundry…this fashionista has a lot of unpacking and clothes washing to do…and napping…so join me next week for a fun-filled article on how to wear your awesome blazers!
Don’t forget to follow the VIP on Twitter @Abbysauce_ and Instagram @VintagePassionista and like me on Facebook at www.facebook.com/vintageinspiredpassionista