This week on The Adventures of the VIP, I am going to discuss “How to Wear Vintage”. Before I get started, let’s take a look at the meaning of “vintage”. According to “Merriam-Webster” dictionary, it is “a season’s yield of grapes or wine from a vineyard.” Wait, wait, wait! I am sorry that is not the definition we need. Hold on. Let’s keep reading through all these definitions. Yes, here it is. “Characterized by excellence, maturing, and enduring appeal; classic.” Doesn’t that sound lovely? Enduring appeal and classic! According to Etsy, an online shopping heaven, an item must be twenty years of age or more to qualify as “vintage”. To a vintage buff like myself, “vintage” is an item with aged quality and a traceable history.
What is so fabulous about buying and wearing vintage is that with a few standard vintage pieces one can create daring outfits by simply mixing the old with the new. Vintage tops supercharge jeans, vintage boyfriend blazers harmonize with modern dresses, and vintage jewelry complements any top in the closet. Now, without further ado, I introduce to you three examples of “How to Wear Vintage”.
To the ribbon cutting ceremony of The Real Story, I sported a bedazzled, stellar, vintage cocktail blouse, my “DIY Dip-Dye Denim” shorts, and darling black heels. This comfortable outfit will definitely catch attention as it shimmers and sparkles with fashionista pride! The VIP declares vintage cocktail tops as a must have for all for fall.
For my dad’s birthday dinner, I strutted the streets of Louisville, Mississippi in my tomato red, high-waisted shorts, a pitch black Metallica band tee, a distressed jean vest, leopard print belt, and studded toe heels. This flirty and fierce ensemble is a perfect way to leave a forget-me-not impression at a birthday gathering. The VIP declares band tees a must have for all vintage inspired fashionistas.
A vintage 1970s floral button-up, dark denim jeans rolled at the bottom with a neutral belt and eye- popping orange wedges makes for a dreamy back to school outfit! This retro, preppy ensemble delivers all the impact needed to start the school year off fashionably. The VIP declares vivid, vintage button-ups a must have for the retro closet.
Drum roll, please. Now, it is time for the famous-well, kind of famous, VIP tips. This week’s tips are for those vintage-loving fashionistas who are looking for ways to wear and pair those timeless pieces. Remember when buying vintage clothing, to invest in sturdy pieces that can stand up to everyday life and wear without being damaged. I have suffered the embarrassing rip from a delicate, classic piece!
VIP Tips on How to Wear Vintage:
- Pair with Denim: Vibrant vintage high-waisted shorts or A-Line skirt plays well with a modern or vintage band tee and a jean jacket or vest. Denim-on-denim is very hot for the fall! Invest in modern and vintage denim to give your wardrobe a striking combination.
- Sequins, Sequins, Sequins!: Vintage cocktail tops pair well with jeans and classic trousers. For the daring, pair with 80s style miniskirts or leggings! No need to stress about accessories because the sequins say it all. “I’m here. The party can now begin.”
- Edgy Leather: A well-loved leather jacket adds a certain sassy, edgy depth to that boxy style vintage dress. What is even more appealing is leather never goes out of style, my dear fashionistas! “This year-round classic is totally worth the investment,” says Marie Claire magazine.
- Boy Meets Girl: Take the Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen (of Elizabeth & James and The Row) philosophy when it comes to wearing vintage with modern apparel. “This season, we played a lot with rich textures, layering, and striking a balance between masculine and feminine.” You can easily pair a sweet, white lace top with a “Grease” style leather jacket for a boy meets girl, daring fashion statement.
- Let’s Hear It For the Boys!: A dashing, vintage top coat layered over an edgy, band tee or preppy sweater works well with jeans or khakis for an absurdly good-looking vibe that will have all the girls singing, “Let’s Hear It for the Boys!” It is the vintage (or modern) article that every ravishing man needs for fall.
According to the Vintage Fashion Guild, “…Expect to pay a fair price to the seller who has found an item, cleaned it, and researched it.” Finding good quality vintage can be hard to do, but when you find it-it is totally worth the investment! The first step of being able to wear vintage is to locate and purchase striking vintage! Stay tuned to “The Real Story” and my blog “Vintage Inspired Passionista” on tips for locating and buying these enduring, classic pieces.
Be sure to join me next week on The Adventures of the VIP as I take you on another fabulous fashion journey in my fashionista time machine! Wouldn’t it be great if time machines really did exist…
Don’t forget to Like the VIP on Facebook at www.facebook.com/vintageinspiredpassionista and follow me on Twitter @Abbysauce_ and Instagram @VintagePassionista!
Here are a few more of my FAVORITE vintage ensembles!:)