“Glory days, well, they’ll pass you by. Glory days, in the wink of a young girl’s eye. Glory days, glory days….We just sit around talking about the old times…she starts laughing, thinking about glory days…” Mhmm-Bruce Springsteen surely knows how to sing it! Glory days, oh, the wonderful glory days of summer! Don’t you wish our summer could be just a few months, weeks, even days longer? Sitting and relaxing by the pool, sipping on some ice cold, sweet tea-yes, those are the glory days of summer! It is so sad that it is over till next year, but who says we can’t make fall full of glory days-fashionable glory days! In this week’s adventure, I am going to show all you fashionistas out there how to make these chilly months full of fashionable glory!
Right now is the perfect time to head to your local thrift store or go shopping in your own closet for sweaters that need a little love. This easy peasy, sweater cheesy DIY will show how to convert an old winter sweater into an adorable dress with vintage flare!
What you will need:
- An oversized winter sweater
- Vintage buttons (or new buttons)
Step One: Find some unique vintage or new buttons the same size as the original ones. Remove the original buttons and sew on the vintage buttons to give your sweater dress a little VIP touch.
Step Two: Next, it is time to cut off the sleeves. Measure one inch away from the seams of each sleeve and cut off each sleeve. Tah Dah! Done!
Seriously, done-completed-finished. In just two steps, you have created a fabulous new staple piece for your closet.
Now, journey with me into the wonderful land of blazers, tights, and crew socks to see how you can make your Sweater Happy DIY a mega must have for your chilly season wardrobe!
I wore my Sweater Happy DIY with a sophisticated neutral blazer, preppy horizontal striped crew socks, and a pair of vibrant mustard yellow stilettos for a wonderful way to dress up and cozy up. This ensemble was perfect for making a dramatic fashion statement and for grabbing some Starbucks with my girls before heading out for a road trip and shopping spree! Make that one Venti, extra hot, Caramel Macchiato with extra foam, please!
VIP Tips on Wearing the Sweater Happy DIY:
- Classic Boots: Sporting a traditional pair of classic knee high boots with this DIY dress is a super stylish way to step up your wardrobe! When the temperatures start to drop more, toss on a vibrant hue blazer for an ensemble that is perfect for running errands around town while staying comfortable, adorable, and cozy!
- Sheer Tights: Embrace sheer tights! Wear your dress DIY with a pair of stunning color block wedges and sheer tights for a striking combination that is a simple way to ace that dressy, yet casual gal look! This outfit is perfect for a delicious brunch with clients!
- Iconic Denim: Substitute in iconic denim for tights! This DIY dress looks fantastic when worn over dark jeans and paired with sparkly, chunky jewelry! Take this outfit to the next level by adding a uniform, fitted blazer and sexy t-straps with your DIY dress! This outfit can be taken from comfy casual Friday to a Friday night party bash in a snap with just a change of accessories.
How did you dress up your Sweater Happy DIY? Email me your ensemble combinations to firstname.lastname@example.org! I would love to include them in a future blog post!